Nauh niu liuþ

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Apr 16 16:19:40 UTC 2008

Hails, Friþureik!

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this; I've been a bit busy
lately...

> niwi liuþ

I think it would be 'niu' (or 'niujata') like the neuter ja-stem nouns
'kniu' and 'triu'.

> agliþ

'agleiþ' "it hurts" (with Sievers' Law: PGmc. *'ij' > Go. 'ei').

> bruteis

Köbler has *'bruts' and *'brutilo' for "bud", based on loanwords into
Romance. Do we have any clue as to what declension this *'bruts' would
belong to?

> bristand

Alternatively, you could use the attested verb 'keinan' or 'uskeinan':
Jai, agleiþ, þan brutilons uskeinand [...]

> Duhvê sáinjái wêzr?

Some ways of saying "or else...?", "or for what other reason...?":

aiþþau duhve sainjai wezr?
In hvis aljis sainjai wezr?
Duhve sainjai wezr, alja in þis?

Alternatives to 'sainjai' using attested words:

In hvis aljis qimai wezr us trigon? "...come reluctantly"
Hva aljis latjai wezr? "What else would delay spring? ...hold spring
back?"

> Duhvê bindada alla gaírnei unsara sô heitô
> in þamma frusanin báitrafalwin?

Duhve bindada alla gairnei unsara so haito in þamma frusanin baitrafalwin?

ON 'heitr', OE 'hát', OS 'hêt', OHG 'heiz' would correspond to Go.
*'haits'.

> Hulþs was bruts sa alla wintrus.

Accusative is used for an extent/stretch/period/duration of time:

Allana wintru bruts huliþs was.
...brutilo hulida was.

> Hva ist þata niujô, þatei taíriþ jah spraggeiþ?

Hva ist þata niujo, þatei disskreitiþ jah distairiþ?

'disskreitan' is used in the Gothic Bible for "tear" (clothes), and
'distairan' for (cause to) burst (wine-bags which burst from
fermenting wine).

> agliþ þamma wahsjandin
> jah þamma lukandin.

That's one possibility.  Another way of doing it would be to keep
those as relative clauses, and make the syntax more like Swedish than
Greek:

Jai, agleiþ, þan brutilons uskeinand; agleiþ þamma, þatei liudiþ, jah
þamma, þatei galukiþ.
"Yes, it hurst when the buds burst; it hurts what grows, and what closes."

'agljan' takes a dative object for the person who is hurt.
Alternatively, instead of 'þamma, þatei', you can have just 'þammei'
(see Streitberg: Gotische Syntax, § 348).

LN