Nauh niu liuþ (2)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Apr 17 11:01:49 UTC 2008

Some comments on the 2nd stanza:

> Jai þannu aglus ist hvan drupans driusand.

I think I'd make the adjective neuter, like this: 'Jai, aglu ist, þan
drupans driusand.'  Compare: hvaiwa aglu ist þaim hugjandam afar
faihau in þiudangardja gudis galeiþan (Mk 10:24).  And I'd use 'þan'
or 'þanei' for "when", except where it's a direct or indirect question
- e.g. direct: hvan managans habaiþ hlaibans' "how many loaves have
you got?" (Mk 8:5).  I can't find an example of an indirect question
with 'hvan' (that is, dependent on a verb meaning "ask", "know",
"understand", "discover", "prove"), but there are examples with other
interrogative pronouns: ak fraþjandans hva sijai wilja fraujins "but
understanding what the will of the Lord is" (Eph 5:17).

> Reirands fram karai kauruba eis hahand,

Masculine nominative plural 'reirandans'.

> haftjand sik ana taina, swilland, gleidand -

haftjand sik taina/ansta (with dative and no preposition, e.g.
'haftjandans godamma' "sticking to what is good" (R 12:9)).

> Dalaþ ins þinsai kaurus, hvaiwa kliggand.

'kaurei ins dalaþ atþinsiþ' - compare the combinations 'dalaþ
atsteigan', 'dalaþ atgaggan'.

> Aglus wisan unwiss, faurhts jah skaidans,

Again, I'd use neuter, "it is hard": 'Aglu unwiss wisan, jah faurhts
jah skaidans,'

> Aglus ufkunnan diupein þo þinsandein jah haitandein,

You could use infinitives:

aglu diupiþa/diupein ufkunnan atþinsan jah athaitan
aglu diupiþai/diupein gaumjan atþinsan jah athaitan

The most common form is 'diupiþa', but 'diupei' is also attested.

> nauh bileiban sitands jah þatain skudon -

sweþauh nauh sitan jah þatainei reiran,

*'skudon'? or *'skudjan' (OHG 'scuttan' > NHG 'schütten') or
*'skudison' (OHG 'scutisôn') or *'skutilon' (OHG 'scutilôn')?  Is the
double 'dd' in Swedish 'skudda' due to it being a loanword from West
Germanic (Low German 'schudden'), where gemination was the rule before
/j/.  There's also a version with long [u:] in the root, represented
in MDu. 'schûderen' and NHG 'schaudern'.

Alternatives: *'skakan', *'skilban'.

> aglus bileiban wiljan
> jah driusan wiljan.

aglu bileiban wiljan
jah driusan wiljan.

I'd translate it the same way, except with neuter for the adjective.
We have a few other choices for "stay": 'wisan', 'gawisan', 'gastandan'.

LN