Nauh niu liuþ (2)

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 29 16:57:02 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Some comments on the 2nd stanza:
>
> > Jai þannu aglus ist hvan drupans driusand.

what about þannu? I'd like to make a difference between swedish 'ja'
and 'ja visst'.

> I think I'd make the adjective neuter, like this: 'Jai, aglu ist,
þan
> drupans driusand.'  Compare: hvaiwa aglu ist þaim hugjandam afar
> faihau in þiudangardja gudis galeiþan (Mk 10:24).  And I'd use 'þan'
> or 'þanei' for "when", except where it's a direct or indirect
question
> - e.g. direct: hvan managans habaiþ hlaibans' "how many loaves have
> you got?" (Mk 8:5).  I can't find an example of an indirect question
> with 'hvan' (that is, dependent on a verb meaning "ask", "know",
> "understand", "discover", "prove"), but there are examples with
other
> interrogative pronouns: ak fraþjandans hva sijai wilja fraujins "but
> understanding what the will of the Lord is" (Eph 5:17).

that's probably a correct observation.

> > Reirands fram karai kauruba eis hahand,
>
> Masculine nominative plural 'reirandans'.

thnx

> > haftjand sik ana taina, swilland, gleidand -
>
> haftjand sik taina/ansta (with dative and no preposition, e.g.
> 'haftjandans godamma' "sticking to what is good" (R 12:9)).
>
> > Dalaþ ins þinsai kaurus, hvaiwa kliggand.
>
> 'kaurei ins dalaþ atþinsiþ' - compare the combinations 'dalaþ
> atsteigan', 'dalaþ atgaggan'.
>
> > Aglus wisan unwiss, faurhts jah skaidans,
>
> Again, I'd use neuter, "it is hard": 'Aglu unwiss wisan, jah faurhts
> jah skaidans,'

is it necessary to use jah so many times? in swedish it should be
enough to use it as i did, i.e. not befor faurht but bnefore skaidans.

> > Aglus ufkunnan diupein þo þinsandein jah haitandein,
>
> You could use infinitives:
>
> aglu diupiþa/diupein ufkunnan atþinsan jah athaitan
> aglu diupiþai/diupein gaumjan atþinsan jah athaitan
>
> The most common form is 'diupiþa', but 'diupei' is also attested.
>
> > nauh bileiban sitands jah þatain skudon -
>
> sweþauh nauh sitan jah þatainei reiran,

what's sweþauh?
what's the difference between þatain and þatainei?

> *'skudon'? or *'skudjan' (OHG 'scuttan' > NHG 'schütten') or
> *'skudison' (OHG 'scutisôn') or *'skutilon' (OHG 'scutilôn')?  Is
the
> double 'dd' in Swedish 'skudda' due to it being a loanword from West
> Germanic (Low German 'schudden'), where gemination was the rule
before
> /j/.
I'm not familiar with that word 'gemination'. what's that?

  There's also a version with long [u:] in the root, represented
> in MDu. 'schûderen' and NHG 'schaudern'.
>
> Alternatives: *'skakan', *'skilban'.
>
> > aglus bileiban wiljan
> > jah driusan wiljan.
>
> aglu bileiban wiljan
> jah driusan wiljan.
>
> I'd translate it the same way, except with neuter for the
adjective.
> We have a few other choices
for "stay": 'wisan', 'gawisan', 'gastandan'.