Nauh niu liuþ (3)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sun Apr 20 20:39:28 UTC 2008

> Þan, hvan wairsist ist

Þanuh, biþe wairsist ist
Þaruh, þan(ei) wairsist ist
Jah þan, (swa)swe wairsist ist

(Or any other combination of either 'þanuh', 'þaruh' or 'jah þan' +
either 'biþe', 'þan(ei)' or '(swa)swe'. 'þan' at the very beginning of
a clause always means "when". As I mentioned in my previous post,
'hvan' would only be used in a direct or indirect question (e.g.
direct: "when will they come?"; indirect: "I don't know when they will
come").

> jah ni waihts hilpiþ

That's good. Equally acceptable alternatives: jah waihts ni hilpiþ;
jah ni hilpiþ waihts.

> Bristand swe in wunjai brusteis bagmis.

The grammar looks fine to me, and you've got some good alliteration
there. Alternatively, you could used the attested verb '(us)keinan':
uskeinand swe in wunjai / in hlasein / miþ fahedai brusteis/bristilons
bagmis.

> Þan, hvan ni faurhtei ju þanaseiþs haldiþ,

þanuh, biþe waihts faurhteino/agise (ju) þanaseiþs/þanamais ni haldiþ

You've got a choice of word orders here. There is a tendency to place
'ni' directly before the verb, but it's also not unusual to put it
before words like 'waiht(s)' or 'þanaseiþs/þanamais', either as well
as or instead of before the verb. Optionally, 'ni' can be placed at
the beginning of the clause with the verb directly after it.

> driusand in glitmunjai drupans tainis

Good. (Or: driusand glitmunjandans drupans tainis.)

> ufarmaudjand þatei

Good, or: ufarmunnond þammei

> þlahsnanai wesun

Either 'þlahsidai wesun' or 'þlahsnodedun'.

> fram þamma niujin

Good.

> ufarmaudjand þatei karanai wesun bi fara -

ufarmaudjand þatei ins *faros/wratodaus kara was
ufarmunnond þammei [...]

> ufkunnun

ufkunnand, weak class 3 [
http://www.wulfila.be/lib/streitberg/1910/HTML/B076.html ].

> aina stika

The attested phrase is 'in stika melis' "in a moment of time",
litterally a "point of time", L 4:5 (I'm not sure whether this means
"immediately, without delay" or "just for a moment, after which the
vision disappeared) [
http://www.wulfila.be/gothic/browse/text/?book=3&chapter=4 ]. But here
you could maybe use the accusative expressing duration of time 'stik
melis' "for a moment". 'stiks' is presumed to be a masculine i-stem,
because of cognates, although it's only attested in Gothic this once
in the dative singular.

> þo þwastiþa mikiliston seinon,

The possessive adjectives are only declined strong, and the
superlative of 'mikils' is 'maists': þo maiston þwastiþa seina;
þwastiþa seina þo maiston.

> hveiland in þizai triggwein
> þizaiei fairhvu gaskapjiþ.

I'd make this an accusative + infinitive construction: hveilan in
stomin þatei fairhvu gaskapjiþ "resting in the confidence that creates
the world"; hveilan in trauainai sei fairhvu gaskapjiþ "resting in the
trust that creates the world".

LN