Gothic forms of common names?

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Sun Aug 3 23:04:32 UTC 2008

On Aug 3, 2008, at 6:38 PM, ualarauans wrote:
> What is Gothic for Karl Marx I wonder – Ka(i)rls Marks (gen. Markis)
> or Markss (Marksis)? The latter seems likelier, but there's no example
> of a final -ss, as far as I know. Maybe Marks, gen. Marksis, as it is
> in urruns, urrunsis?
>
> Lettish for V. I. Lenin is Vladimirs Il,jic^s L,en,ins. Looks a bit
> funny.

Could assimilate the name to marks, border. Is that attested?

I was more concerned with first names, to be honest. I think the Greek
form for Michael would suggest Gothic Mixael or Mixail.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)