Gothic forms of common names?

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 5 09:29:35 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> What is Gothic for Karl Marx I wonder – Ka(i)rls Marks (gen.
Markis)
> or Markss (Marksis)? The latter seems likelier, but there's no
example
> of a final -ss, as far as I know. Maybe Marks, gen. Marksis, as it
is
> in urruns, urrunsis?

I would propose Kairls Marks (gen. Marksis).
Since the final s is not a suffix it shouldn't change to Markis,
and you're right that final -ss isn't very frequent at all.
E.g. the pgmc word for salmon *lahsaz would've been lahss if final
double s was allowed but this would change to lahs and the genitive
would be lahsis.

> Lettish for V. I. Lenin is Vladimirs Il,jic^s L,en,ins. Looks a bit
> funny.

Yes this might've been what I was thinking about when refering to
some baltic language.
A masculine person's name would I propose end in masculine a-stem
suffix -s in nominative and be declines as such.

But should we use the gothic corresponding name for Vladimir or use
the russian with a a-stem s attached to it?