Gothic forms of common names?

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 5 11:56:36 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at ...> wrote:

> [...]
> But should we use the gothic corresponding name for Vladimir or use
> the russian with a a-stem s attached to it?

That's a good question. The same I guess as should we use Fredrik or
*Friþureiks :). We may consider the following:

1. Whether Vladimir is Germanic or Slavic name?

2. If we transliterate it, how are we to render the initial v- ?

One more issue to address here is how we are to render the Russian
patronymic Ilyich ("son of Ilya"). Should it be Heleiïns sunus (in a
Germanic way), Hailiggs (a still more Germanic way) or Iljic, with a
koppa at the end, to represent –ch. What think ye?