Gothic forms of common names?

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 5 18:20:56 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts@> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > But should we use the gothic corresponding name for Vladimir or
use
> > the russian with a a-stem s attached to it?
>
> That's a good question. The same I guess as should we use Fredrik
or
> *Friþureiks :).

Exactly!
I use the name frithureiks when refering to friedrich engels, and a
supposed gothicized form of his last name as Aggilisks.

We may consider the following:

> 1. Whether Vladimir is Germanic or Slavic name?

I don't acctually know if it's germanic or slavic but I think it's
slavic. But there is at least one germanic form which is know to me
as Valdemar. A good thing is that the elements of the name Vladimir
are cognate to the also similar elements in the germanic languages.

> 2. If we transliterate it, how are we to render the initial v- ?

V is usually transliterated with b som perhaps *bladimirs, but then
is the vowel i unknown befor r to gothic speakers since this became
aí. The form *bladimaírs would be more natural for gothic speakers.

> One more issue to address here is how we are to render the Russian
> patronymic Ilyich ("son of Ilya"). Should it be Heleiïns sunus (in
> Germanic way), Hailiggs (a still more Germanic way) or Iljic, with
> koppa at the end, to represent –ch. What think ye?

There has been problems with the ch sound before and I don't have any
idea good enough to write this sound in gothic.
What's the origine of the name Ilya?

/F