Hello

Pablo pittaluga at INTERLINK.COM.AR
Tue Dec 9 20:36:08 UTC 2008

Hello Fredrik,

Thanks a lot for your mail and explanations. You got what I meant, I love to see
and detect similarities between languages, and their influence on others. It's a
hobby that's growing I guess. But your examples were quite good as to picture
the whole thing.

Here in the Argentine, where we speak a particular medieval-like Spanish dialect,
heavily influenced mostly by Italian and to a lesser extent indigenous and English
expressions, such words are not that uncommon. "Alevoso" is used exactly as to
depict an abusive situation, while "escanciar" is less often heard, but as it has
been narrowed enough to mean only "whisky pouring into a glass", I find it logical
to come from Gothic! Such knowledge of yours tells me that your Spanish
studies have gone quite beyond the basics. Regarding guante, well, both examples
match. I'd say anyway is a French loanword, just like "reloj" (horloge,
"clock/watch").

Regarding Gutiska Rada (right?), I'd love to receive some basic guidelines for
Gothic expressions, such as common nouns, salutations, etc. And as to finish:
What's Gothic for Paul? Could you also translate the adjective "grape-picker"
(which happens to be my family name in Genoese)? Thanks a lot in advance.

Best wishes,

Pablo