Hello

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sat Dec 27 01:45:16 UTC 2008

Hi Bob,

Some good works in German, however not so very fresh but they belong
to the standard works: Reinhardt Wenskus "Stammesbildung und
Verfassung" 1965. He is the one who starts with a new demographic
viewpoint that later Wolfram and Pohl developes into 'ethnogenesis'.
Accordingly also look for books by Walter Pohl. Goffart "The
narrators of barbarian history" is opposed to these two. Same
tendencies you find in "On Barbarian Identity" 2002, ed. Andrew
Gillet. Also look for  publications of Andreas Schwarcz in Vienna.
Another old  standard book is Rolf Hachmann "Die Goten und
Skandinavien" 1970.Some really late examples looking at the
archaeology and spread of the Goths in Germanic areas are Heike Grahn-
Hoek,2002  Stamm und Reich der frühen Thüringer nach der
Schriftquellen. i Zeitschrift des Vereins für Thüringische
Geschichte, Band 56, Jena 2002 and Bertold Schmidt "Zwischen
römischer Eroberung und Königreich"  in  'Archäologie in
Deutschland', Thema: Die Thüringer, Theiss, Stuttgart 1984 and he has
written more works also.A Polish serie is constantly publishing new
archaeological results. It is called in English "Archaeological
rescue investigations along the gas transit pipeline", ed.Marek
Gierlach but it is mostly Polish with short summaries.
Some other Polish researchers are Kmieczinski, J  1972  "Die
Bedeutung der Germanen östlich der Oder während der ersten
Jahrhunderte nach Christi Geburt im Lichte der neueren Forschungen",
Studia Gotica, A&W, Stockholm
Makiewicz,Tadeusz  The Goths in Greater Poland
http://www.muzarp.poznan.pl/archweb/gazociag/contents.htm
and Okulicz-Kozaryn, Jerzy  1991 "Das Gräberfeld von Weklice.  Zur
Besiedlungsgeschichte des Weichselraums in der römischen Kaiserzeit",
Archeologia, Vol. XV, s. 115-127. He treats the possible origin of
the Gepids.A more ortodox archaeologist is Bierbrauer, Volker
1991,"Die Goten vom 1-7. Jahrhundert n. Chr.: Siedelgebiete und
Wanderbewegungen auf grund archäologischer Quellen", Universitetets
Oldsaksamlings Skrifter, Ny Rekke, nr.  14, Oslo Universitet, Oslo.

For the later development in the Mediterranean area e.g. A.E.
Thompson and Dietrich Claude has written quite good books but they
are not fresh.

Well, these are just a few examples of possible literature - some old
and some new. Together they give a broad but definitely not united
view of the Goths.Hope I did not frighten you now. It will take quite
a while looking them all through so you have to make some choices.

Good luck!
Ingemar

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Bob Offer-Westort <Bob at ...> wrote:

> I'm working on some independent research into the origins of the
Old
> English poem known as 'Deor', & have been reading Wolfram for some
> Gothic context (mostly concerning the Ostrogoths during the
lifetimes
> of Cassiodorus & Jordanes). I plan to read Heather & Kaliff, as
well
> as Ingemar's thesis & Thomas Burns *A History of the Ostrogoths*,
but
> I rather suspect that I'm missing out because my reading derives
> mostly from looking at English-language materials. I don't have a
> background in history, & I'm coming from outside the Academy, so
I'm
> not really sure how to navigate resources save by looking thru
> bibliographies. Is there material in German or other modern
European
> languages since 1988 that one should read in order to have a
decent
> understanding of scholarly interpretation of later Gothic history?
How