Warrior Class

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 5 03:45:26 UTC 2008

Skalks is actually a slave (most often = Gr. DOULOS, also
OIKETHS "domestic servant", PAIDARION "slave child"). Cf. also ga-
skalki SUNDOULOS "Mitknecht" – it's neuter on –ja, looks more like a
word for a thing, not for a living person. I don't think a Gothic
warrior would be happy with these names for himself :) Still, you
may use it if you mentally place your Goths into the High Middle
Age, with its knights, heralds, noble ladies etc. Unfortunately, the
historical Goths didn't live so long to develop a feudal terminology
of their own. Words of their language pertain to realities of a
different time. It's "master and slave", not "suzerain and vassal"
which dominated the social landscape in the classic society and
which is reflected in the language of the Gothic Bible. Some other
Old germanic translations, less dependent on the original text, were
making use of the Germanic social terminology. That's why you can
occasionally find Jesus depicted as a Germanic warlord and the
disciples as his "optimates" (guardsmen), e.g. OHG druhtin and
thegana in Otfrid von Weissenburg's Evangelienbuch. In Gothic, these
were *drauhtins and gadrauhts (pl. gadrauhteis) respectively. For
the latter, you can also opt for reconstructed poeticisms (based on
ON): *drauhtimagus, *drauhtiguma and the like. *drauhtifaþs
(Gen. -fadis) for *drauhtins seems also possible.

In a few written sources of the Migration period the Latinized word
sculca (Gr. SKOULKA) is used for some kind of military service. It
might be cognate to skalks, although there's a Latin etymology (from
exculcare).

In Langobardic laws it is glossed: sculca id est cabalcata, or: id
est custodire aliquam rem [http://mdz10.bib-
bvb.de/~db/bsb00000878/images/index.html?id=00000878&nativeno=300]

See also: [http://books.google.com/books?id=-
9TtkWNMNhIC&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=sculca&source=web&ots=C4KxcGMd0J&sig=
ghLqMKCDWFP9adyB5W0Y6sCJzEk]
[http://www.northvegr.org/lore/germaniclaw/003.php].

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at ...>
wrote:

> Hi Rutgur,
>
> An employed fighter/warrior (cf. German 'Knecht', Sw. 'knekt') is
> called 'skalks'. This, however, is  in a household and if it has a
> bearing for army titles I do not know.
>
> Best
> Ingemar
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Sir Rutgur" <rutgur@> wrote:
> >
> > Did the Goths have particular word their Warrior Class?  .for the
> Leadership
> > for their Warrior Class?  I'm wondering if they had a
functionally