Warrior Class

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Feb 6 19:27:11 UTC 2008

Another possibility would be to invent a Gothic *aihva-raida-manna to
match Old English 'éoredmann'.  I'm thinking of Tom Shippey's comments
in The Road to Middle Earth about the survival in Old English of this
old word 'éored' for cavalry in spite of the lack of such a fighting
force among the Anglo-Saxons, perhaps harking back to traditions of
cavalry warefare as practiced by the Goths.  But that's a bit of a
mouthful...  I think my favourite so far is *kaballareis, for the
reasons Ualarauan's has suggested.  It seems very credible alongside
the other Latin military vocabulary.  We could still used *reidands
"rider" as synonym for knight where the context makes it clear.

LN