Warrior Class

Michal Cigan michalcigan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 6 17:43:55 UTC 2008

Hi all, hard to catch running train, but i'll try...

  It depends what do you mean by "knight"!

  If You mean the mounted warrior (more or less heavy armoured), than i think yes,
  such a warriors were among the Goths.
  War-parties (Tacitus' commitatus) of mediaval gentes, first members of  nobility, followers of some leader ("king"), they generaly fought on  horses.
  But if you mean knight in the feudal romantic or spiritual sence respectively, then
  there were no knights among Goths. Nevertheless, also members of pre-feudal war parties
  had their spiritual principles, code of honour, but i'm afraid it was  more about the love to the friend in war party, to "brother in arm", or  to the leader of the band, than to some beautiful noble maiden... (But  note, that also feudal knightly ideal was just an ideal, also knight  was in the first place heavy armoured mounted warrior, profesional  killer, the core of mediaval army (all the words about service to  maiden, or Jesus Christ was secondary - at least i think so...)

  Michal

  P.S. Sorry for my terrible english...

ualarauans <ualarauans at yahoo.com> wrote:                                            --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Justïn <justinelf at ...> wrote:

  > Is there any way we would reconstruct the term "knight" or is that
  just
  > too chronologically irresponsible?

  Exactly my point, Justïn. There were no knights yet in Gothic times.

  Ualarauans