Principles of reconstruction.

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 10 06:28:28 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Justïn <justinelf@> wrote:

> Would the literary style of the novel work in Gothic?
> Maybe we should translate some Lewis...

The only style we know is that of the Bible. And we can reconstruct
some poetry because its style was pan-Germanic. But nothing hinders
you from developping your own style(s).

> I'll work on this, but it won't be pretty.

Submit your translation as soon as you've finished it. Pretty or not
doesn't matter. It will be YOUR translation. Ask whatever questions
you have in the process. And, "don't be hasty, master Elf" :)

To ease your start I think it's appropriate to list all the words
you need. Make sure you will be able to find words in dictionaries
by yourself next time. It's not that difficult.

> 1. Early morning I take a bath 2. After that I put my clothes on,
> take my staff and go to the wood 3. There I see a dwarf sitting
> under a tree, on the very edge of the wood 4. He's sleeping 5. I
> push him with my elbow 6. The dwarf gets awake, sees me and climbs
> up the tree very quickly 7. Now he's looking pretty like an owl
> sitting on a twig 8. He wishes he would fly away.

early morning – air uhtwon
to take – niman
bath - *baþ N.-a (don't put (*) in the text)
after – afar + accusative
that – þata
my – meins (pay attention to grammatical congruence)
to put clothes on – gawasjan sik wastjom (lit. "to dress oneself
with clothes", put the verb in the 1st person sg. present in the
sentence and additionally change sik to mik "myself").
staff – hrugga F.-o
to go – gaggan
wood – *widus M.-u
there – þar
to see – saihvan
dwarf - *dwairgs M.-a
sitting – sitands (put it in acc. sg., consult the section on
declension of active participles)
under – uf + dat.
tree – triu N.-wa (note the sound change in dative singular)
on – ana + dat.
very – don't translate it
to sleep – slepan
to push smbd./smth. – bistigqan bi acc. (read [bistinkwan]). It
seems better than just stigqan I told of before
him – ina (acc. sg. of 'is' "he")
elbow – aleina F.-o (to say "with the elbow" just put aleina in dat.
sg.)
to get awake – gawaknan
to climb up smth. – ussteigan in + acc.
quickly – sprauto
now – nu
to look like smth. – wisan galeiks + dat. (here: 'ist galeiks')
pretty – don't translate it
owl - *uggwilo F.-n
to wish – wiljan (irregular verb, 3rd person sg. present is 'wili')
to fly away - *afþliugan