Principles of reconstruction.

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sun Feb 10 15:00:33 UTC 2008

Good ideas.

> > *'tuggwon'.
>
> PG *kewwanan > Go. *kiggwan, OE cíowan, ON tyggva?

*kiggwan: kaggw, kuggwun, kuggwans (like bliggwan). Reading further, I
see that the initual dental in ON tyggva, Sw. tugga is supposed to
have arisen by dissimilation. In favour of *kiggwan, the stong verb is
more basic, and the dissimilated forms secondary and limited to North
Germanic. Also in his entry for Modern High German 'kauen', Grimm
reconstructs Gothic *kiggwan. So all in all, this looks preferable.

> > The complication here is knowing how to make the compound.  The
> Gothic
> > verb is 'daddjan' "to suckle", so maybe *'daddi-dius'? That's
> > supposing we can treat the verb as ja- and jo-stem nouns are treated
> > when they form the first element of compounds. I'm not sure if there
> > are any examples of this with a Weak Class 1 verb though.
>
> daddjando dius?

That's a neat solution, and it even scans as a line of alliterative
verse. I second this for the official Gothic word for "mammal"!