century, events, deaths

Lombard manielombard at CHELLO.AT
Thu Feb 21 17:39:23 UTC 2008

That means:

list of years: jere tal, jeratal
list of decades: wintrutigiwe tal
list of centuries: aiwe (or would it be it aiwje, ja-stem ?) tal, or alde (or aldje?) tal

Manie

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: ualarauans
  To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:23 PM
  Subject: [gothic-l] Re: century, events, deaths

  --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Lombard" <manielombard at ...> wrote:

  > I don't know what you mean by the last question
  concerning "jaarhonderd" :((( A
  > decade is "tiental" (tal = number) in Afrikaans. Decade used for
  years is
  > "dekade" or "tydperk van tien jaar".

  Then tigus is tiental, and *wintru-tigus or, simply, taihun
  wintrjus/jera is dekade, I guess :)

  > For "century" we use "eeu" or "jaarhonderd" :))) (I think in Dutch
  only "eeuw"
  > is used, but I'm not sure.

  So you do use jaarhonderd! Oops... I didn't know it. I thought such
  a construct (calque from German) would sound clumsy and foreign,
  though understandable, in the same way as *wintru-hund would have
  sounded to a Gothic ear. Perhaps this is the case with Dutch, but
  I'm quite not sure now. And, where could we get a Gothic ear to test
  our assumptions, eh? In a Czerniachów burial somewhere between
  Dnieper and the Danube?

  > Do you perhaps have any idea how "list of years" could be
  translated into
  > Gothic? I know, quite a lot of questions :)))

  What about *jera-tala F.-o or -tal N.-a? I remember ON tal used for
  lists of names, e.g. konungatal "list of kings".

  P.S. Questions are OK! Altyd welkom!

  > Thanks dear Ualarauans. Baie dankie
  >
  > Groete, Manie

  tigus "decade" and