century, events, deaths

Lombard manielombard at CHELLO.AT
Thu Feb 21 19:28:38 UTC 2008

According to Köbler aiws is translated as aeternum, saeculum. "Saeculum" fits with our "century", doesn't it?

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: ualarauans
  To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:45 PM
  Subject: [gothic-l] Re: century, events, deaths

  --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Lombard" <manielombard at ...> wrote:

  > Or should we use aiws, Western Germanic being nearer to Gothic
  (Eastern Germanic), or am I wrong there?

  With the Icelandic examples cited by Llama I'd feel more towards alds.
  Icelandic is most archaic of today's Germanic languages, after all.
  But then, Dutch and Afrikaans are for aiws, so to say. Should we
  vote? :)

  Both words translate Greek AIWN. Besides, alds does also stand for Gr.
  GENEA "generation" and BIOS "life". Maybe we should specify alds
  for "epoch" and reserve aiws for "hundred of years"?