Rosomil, Rosmunda, Rosamunda

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sun Feb 24 01:20:57 UTC 2008

Ah, I should have read further before posting... The way they're cited
here makes it look as if they're Old High German names/nicknames of
living people: Hruodo, Hruozo, Ruozo, Rozo and feminine Roza
(Germanische Mythen: Forschungen, p. 285). Presumably the mythological
connection is Mannhardt's supposition? He sees these as a combination
of hrôd- + -s-, a suffix often used to form neuter nouns, to produce
'hrôds', 'hrôs', "das einzig in Altnornischen bewahrt ist [...]", so I
guess that answers my other question.  But would be expect the
consonant cluster to be simplified in the same way in Gothic: sþ > ss > s?