Rosomil, Rosmunda, Rosamunda

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 24 05:35:07 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Gerhard Köbler, following Holthausen, derives the names Rosomil,
> Rosmunda, Rosamunda from a root *rus- found in English 'rust'
(perhaps
> also found in Rosomoni), related ultimately to Go. 'rauþs' "red",
> 'ga-riudi' "decency".

I've heard so many weird ideas concerning the etymology of
Rosomoni... Basically, all agree that the second element is Go.
-mans "men" (in codd. Rosomonorum, Rosomanorum, Rosimanorum,
Rosomorum). About the first one, I read that roso- is alledgedly
from raus "reed" (Marquart?), hence Rosomoni < *Rausa-
mans "marshlanders"; others state that roso- is from Alanic roxsa-
(Oss. rûxs) "light", like in Roxolani "light Alans". And, of course,
a connection with "Russians" is asserted every now and then.

> Roods or Herodis is said to be the name
> given to the Wild Huntsman in a story from Hannover (1935-6:
> Handwoerterbuch des deutschen Aberglaubens, Vo. VII, p. 776).

Any connection with Herodes the king?

> Looking
> at other possibilities, I see that Köbler has a Proto-Germanic
> adjective 'hrôzaz' "nhd. rührig, sich rührend, hurtig; ne. busy,
> quick; RB.: ae., mnl., as" (e.g. OE 'hrór' "capable of motion,
> vigorous, strong", a credible naming element, given the female
names
> with the second element -swinþ-, -þrúþ-). This adjective is
related to
> the verb 'hrôzjan-' "nhd. rühren; ne. stir (V.); RB.: an., ae.,
> afries., anfrk., as., ahd." There is also the Old Norse
verb 'hrósa'
> "to praise". I don't know if this is related to any of the above,
but
> semantically it too seems a reasonable naming element given naming
> elements such as Hrôþi-.

ON hrósa is probably from *hróðsa (like heilsa). We don't have cases
of þs > ss > s in Gothic, do we? *Hrôza- looks likelier, IMHO.

BTW Köbler cites PN Rausimodus. Very interesting.