construction of gothic scandinavian urheimat

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Thu May 8 13:39:01 UTC 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 3:15 AM, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:
> i i think our suppositions are unfounded about the goths.....they
> migrated from gutland to the european mainland and transgressed with
> their migration south thru centuries...we understand little about
> the germanic tribes and their customs before medeival times so
> supposition means little of them or the goths....i think its pretty
> obvious that germanic tribes expanded thru population then and
> simultaneously descended thru out europe.....i think the goths did
> the same with no help of other races or cultures around them....

In the Anglo-Saxon case, it's well-established that it was mostly re-
identification and assimilation, not migration. In the Gothic case,
the historical evidence for re-identification is clearer than the
Anglo-Saxon case, though unfortunately the genetic evidence is not
available. (Wulfila himself was descended from non-Goths).