winja

Ian Ragsdale delvebelow at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 30 15:41:22 UTC 2009

Hi Ingemar,

I'm curious what you're after with this etymology.  The OED gives Sw. vinna
for AS winnan, ON vinna; my guess would be that it's a different root than
what you're going for with vinja, Sw. -vin.

You might also check Kluge for etymology of Wiese.  I don't think he
connects it to vinja, et al., or even to a *wisa.  Ditto for Wiede.  If you
don't have a copy I can get the entry to you later.

Since vinja is fem. I wouldn't be surprised for it to have identical nom.
and acc. forms, but I'm no expert with what the convergence of genders did
to modern Swedish accidence.

IMR