winja

Marja Erwin marja-e at RISEUP.NET
Mon Mar 30 17:38:19 UTC 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Ingemar Nordgren wrote:
> Since we have the word 'vini' in Sw. and Norw. for pasture I am
> wondering wether Northgermanic, as I have allways beleived, is
> closer connected to Gothic than Westgermanic. Thats the main reson.
> I am involved in a discussion and I have to know what I talk about
> even if I am not a linguists. Ther are as you know a lot of words
> for pastue like Weide, Wiese et c. Thy pasture is in Sw. gennerally
> 'beta', to grass, which must be connected with 'bite'. The use by
> Wulfila of certain words hence makes a confusion.
>
> Hope you understand the problem!
> Thank yoou for the help.
> Ingemar

I suspect all of us have wondered about that.

Another question: how could we determine what languages pre-existed
Gothic north of the Danube? On historical grounds we can assume some
Alanic language, and either Dacian or a Danubian Latin dialect. Slavic
languages are also possible. But how, for example, would we detect an
earlier Germanic substrate, perhaps Bastarnaean?

Marja Erwin
marja-e at riseup.net