Reconstructing some names

o_cossue o.cossue at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 9 19:05:06 UTC 2010

I'm not sure if this is going to be really helpful, but...

1.- For the Germanic names present in High Middle ages in Galicia (NW
Spain) - these names, of Eastern Suevi origin, are mostly common to East
/ Danubian Germans – initially it appears that only *harji-
(*harjiz) is known:

Argibadus (and modern place name Arxibai) < *Harjibadwaz (?)

Argifredus (and modern place name Alxofreo) < *Harjifriþuz

Argifreda < *Harjifriþô

Argefonsus < * Harjifunsaz

Argivastro < *Harjigastiz

Argilo f. < *Harjilôn

Argileuva f. < *Harjileubô

Argimirus  (and modern place name Arxemil) < *Harjimêraz

Argemondus (and modern place name Arximonde) < *Harjimunduz

Argeridus < *Harjirêdaz

(initial h- in Germanic names didn't left any trace in toponymy,
eiþer) etc...  But, don't ask me why, there is no **Argiulfus, bur a
very common Ariulfus / Ariulfus which have originated the place names
and Surnames: Arulfe, Arufe (from latinized genitive Arulfi). There were
also an Ariamiro (Suevi, king, died c. 570), and the names Arias 'Lord'
and its superlative Ariastre ( < *Arjaz + -ist-, cf. V. Orel, A HANDBOOK
OF GERMANIC ETYMOLOGY. Brill. 2003 s.v. *arjaz).

2.- Gunþj is probably OK, or maybe gunþjô (at least judging
from this side of the bay of Biscay):

Siseguntia (c 580, a Suevi queen), Alaguntia, Astragundia, Ebragundia,
Ermegundia, Fradegundia, Leodegundia, Menegundia, Teodegundia... but
also Aragunti, Bergundi.

3.- Vladimir Orel gives *drûdaz m 'friend, beloved'. The feminine
*drûdjô is also common in Galician Germanic composite names:
Alatrudia, Aniedrudia, Dagadrudia, Entrudi, Ermedrudia, Guntedrudia,
Penedruia, Qualatrudia, Recedrudi, Senatrudia.

Cheers,

Cossue.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mremic01 at ...> wrote:

> I've been working reconstructing some names, mostly names I've been
coming across in Old English, and I've been having some trouble. I was
hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

> I'm trying to work out which form of 'harjis' would as a naming
element. I think Henry Bradley's had "Harja-", but his some of his forms
are problematic here and there. According to Wright's explanation for
compounding nouns ($389) the -a- remains in short -ja stems but
disappears in the long. So we get niujasatiþs and aglaitiwaurdei. So
I would expect to see Harja- as harjis is has short stem syllable, but
I'm aware of an attested Hariwulfs mentioned in Lehmenn's Etymological
Dictionary which I don't have on me right now. Does anyone know whether
it would be 'Harja-' or 'Hari-'?

> On a similar note, I've reconstructed OE Mildgyþ as Mildigunþi.
Does that seem correct?

> There was also an OE Mildþryþ, and I'm not sure how to handle
'-þryþ'. From the information Bosworth-Toller gives, it looks like
an i-stem. Should it be '-þruþs' in Gothic? I can't find the
proto-germanic form, but would it maybe be '-þrunþs'?