Reconstructing some names

Mike mremic01 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 8 21:22:08 UTC 2010

I've been working reconstructing some names, mostly names I've been coming across in Old English, and I've been having some trouble. I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

I'm trying to work out which form of 'harjis' would as a naming element. I think Henry Bradley's had "Harja-", but his some of his forms are problematic here and there. According to Wright's explanation for compounding nouns ($389) the -a- remains in short -ja stems but disappears in the long. So we get niujasatiþs and aglaitiwaurdei. So I would expect to see Harja- as harjis is has short stem syllable, but I'm aware of an attested Hariwulfs mentioned in Lehmenn's Etymological Dictionary which I don't have on me right now. Does anyone know whether it would be 'Harja-' or 'Hari-'?

On a similar note, I've reconstructed OE Mildgyþ as Mildigunþi. Does that seem correct?

There was also an OE Mildþryþ, and I'm not sure how to handle '-þryþ'. From the information Bosworth-Toller gives, it looks like an i-stem. Should it be '-þruþs' in Gothic? I can't find the proto-germanic form, but would it maybe be '-þrunþs'?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.