The name Jordanes

â—‹ gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 26 21:36:53 UTC 2010

Does some one know about the name Jordanes and the origin of that?

I figure it could be derived from Jordan the river or some germanic name.
Wikipedia gives the alternativ name form Jornandes which makes one think about the spanish name Fernandez in which the last part should be gothic nanths. Could this be the case in the name of Jordanes too?

Another thought is that the name is cognate to the swedish name Jordan.
Runeberg.org says it is made from the same parts as Jorund and Halvdan. This means the last part is the same as the national term dane (danish).
The first part is unknown to me but I guess it could be 'horse' but maybe not.

What do you know and think?