I haven't seen you since we crossed the Danube...

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 20 08:26:36 UTC 2010

Hi, All. About the meaning of duþe, and its possible use as a translation of "since".

The word seems to mean "for this or that reason", "therefore". Examples:

Matt 6:25 duþþe qiþa izwis: ni maurnaiþ saiwalai izwarai
therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life

Mark 1:38 unte duþe qam.
for that is why I came out

Luke 14:20 duþe ni mag qiman
therefore I cannot come

Matt 27:8 duþþe haitans warþ akrs jains akrs bloþis und hina dag
therefore that field has been called the Field of Blood to this day

(Note the Gothic use of the preterite where the English translation uses a perfect with present sense.)

The combination duþe ei has the meaning "since", but so far as I have been able to make out only in its sense of "because" rather than "after". Examples:

Luke 1:13 duþe ei andhausida ist bida þeina
for your prayer is heard

Luke 1:20 duþe ei ni galaubides waurdam meinaim
because you did not believe my words

Of course, it is only a small step from "after" to "because" (post hoc ergo propter hoc), but I can produce no examples from Gothic to justify duþe in the sense of since = after.

Gerry T.