Yulegreetings

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 26 10:07:44 UTC 2011

About how to say "wassail":

Wassail is from Old English wes þu hal (be thou hale). It is tempting to
suggest "wis þu hails" as its Gothic equivalent, but I cannot find examples
of  "wis" used as an imperative. Wright says that the subjunctive was used
for the  imperative "be", so that we should have "sijais þu hail". On the
other hand, you  might like to take a liberty and suggest that "wis" may have
existed as an  archaism or as an alternative form that Wulfila eschewed for
some reason. In any  case "wis" would surely have been the expected imperative
of "wisan" = make  merry.

Gerry T.