New ways of discussion.

Johan Jönsson brevlistor at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 16 16:37:59 UTC 2011

2011/5/16 Frithureiks <gadrauhts at hotmail.com>

> This might be controversial but I want to ask the members of this list if
> it could be a good idea to think about a new way of discussions.
> We are now 630 members of this list and it has been sent over 10500
> messenges. But lately these last years it is not very active anymore as it
> was when I became a member, as I recall.
>
> How could be make all 630 members active?
> Could it be better with another form of forum, such as modern forums?
>
> I would probably prefer such a forum, since it makes it possible to make
> different sections of themes. There could be one for gothic history, one for
> culture, one for translation help, one for neogothic and neologisms etc,
> etc.
>
> What do you all 630 people think about it??

My experience tells me that trying to get an already somewhat inactive group
to communicate through a forum/message board is an effective way to most of,
if not all, the activity that remains.

The thing about a forum is that you have to go there to see if anything new
has happened (yes, there are solutions with RSS feeds and so on, but most
people don't use them). If there's activity, if you can count on new posts
having been made since yesterday, then you might go there daily. If not,
you'll stop checking it out every day, which in itself means that it'll
become less active. Less activity means fewer visits. Eventually, most
members will probably forget about it.

A mailing list, on the other hand, can survive being inactive, since you'll
get the mail when they're posted, even if nothing has happened for a week.

//Johan Jönsson
--
http://johanjonsson.net/wikipedia