New ways of discussion.

Marja Erwin marja-e at RISEUP.NET
Mon May 16 23:11:41 UTC 2011

Word. I came to this list primarily for history and archaeology.

A web forum is best if we have many discussions, on many different topics. An email list is better until this list heats up and branches out. I think a web site for Gutisk resources, including history and archaeology, would be very useful though. I don't hear much about archaeology on this list.

On May 16, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Ingemar Nordgren wrote:

> I am sceptical to a forum solution. It is almost impossible to find the threads you like. When I am at Arkeologiforum I feel always like I find no ways at all to what I look for. Keep this simple list! I would however want to have more discussions about Gothic history, archaeology, religion et c. and not only linguistics. Why should I have to go to Germanic list in order to discuss the Goths when there is a Gothic list. This is also the reason I joined the list originally! Linguistics is interesting of course but only in combination with all other aspects of the Goths. I intend BTW to attend a Gothic symposion on Wulfila in Uppsala in june. It is an anniversary of the birth of Wulfila in 311 AD. A lot of great researchers will lecture including my old adviser Herwig Wolfram. I do indeed look forward to this. If somebody is interested contact Lars Munkhammmar or Anders Kaliff at Carolina Rediviva.
>
> Ingemar
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Johan Jönsson <brevlistor at ...> wrote:
> >
> > 2011/5/16 Frithureiks <gadrauhts at ...>
> >

> > > This might be controversial but I want to ask the members of this list if
> > > it could be a good idea to think about a new way of discussions.
> > > We are now 630 members of this list and it has been sent over 10500
> > > messenges. But lately these last years it is not very active anymore as it
> > > was when I became a member, as I recall.
> > >
> > > How could be make all 630 members active?
> > > Could it be better with another form of forum, such as modern forums?
> > >
> > > I would probably prefer such a forum, since it makes it possible to make
> > > different sections of themes. There could be one for gothic history, one for
> > > culture, one for translation help, one for neogothic and neologisms etc,
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > What do you all 630 people think about it??
> > >

> > My experience tells me that trying to get an already somewhat inactive group
> > to communicate through a forum/message board is an effective way to most of,
> > if not all, the activity that remains.
> >
> > The thing about a forum is that you have to go there to see if anything new
> > has happened (yes, there are solutions with RSS feeds and so on, but most
> > people don't use them). If there's activity, if you can count on new posts
> > having been made since yesterday, then you might go there daily. If not,
> > you'll stop checking it out every day, which in itself means that it'll
> > become less active. Less activity means fewer visits. Eventually, most
> > members will probably forget about it.
> >
> > A mailing list, on the other hand, can survive being inactive, since you'll
> > get the mail when they're posted, even if nothing has happened for a week.
> >
> > //Johan Jönsson
> > --
> > http://johanjonsson.net/wikipedia

Marja Erwin