Hundreds of visigothic slate stones (whiteboards) in Western Castilla (Spain).

o_cossue o.cossue at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 12 18:15:06 UTC 2011

@Gotenfreud: I'm glad to help :-)

Hi, ertydfh110.

On some of the Visigoths acquiring Latin or Christian names, that's for sure, but maybe only when they got involved as churchmen. The chronicler John of Biclara (Béjar) was himself a Goth, while St. Fructuosus, archbishop of Braga in the VIIth century, was son of dux Dogila of Galicia, himself either a Goth or a Suevi. Anyway, most Goths or Suevi retained their names even after being made clergymen. On some of those people mentioned in the stones being your own ancestors, well, why not? If I remember correctly, some years ago a research carried out in the UK led to find that a local teacher was a direct descendant of a x-millenniums (bog?) body, so..

The full series of articles by Isabel Velázquez Soriano on the Visigothic slate stones can be found here:

http://revistas.um.es/ayc/search/authors/view?firstName=Isabel&middleName=&lastName=Vel%C3%A1zquez%20Soriano&affiliation=&country=

Best regards.