Hundreds of visigothic slate stones (whiteboards) in Western Castilla (Spain).

o_cossue o.cossue at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 19 17:54:55 UTC 2011

Hi, friend. No, I'm no scholar, but a learned reader and a hobbyist. My main interest are the Suevi (after all, I'm Galician), and the Romance-Germanic toponymy in Galicia (mostly personal names expressed as genitives, at places such as Mondariz, Guitiriz, Gondomar < Gundemarii, Vila Santar, Allariz, Forcarei < Fulkaredi, Gomesende, Baltar, Sandiás < Sindilanis and the like). Of course, the Germanic, Suevi, and most notably Visigothic, patrimony is probably underrated, if compared with other contribution to Iberia's cultures. Francoism, and in general nationalism, is probably guilty on this, for having used and abused the Goths and the Suevi for their ideology.

On researchers going into new evidences... Well, I really appreciate the works by Aragonese scholar Javier Arce (briefly, ISBN 84-206-2347-4, ISBN 9788496467576, and the brand new "Esperando a los árabes. Los visigodos en Hispania", which I haven't had the opportunity to read, yet). He has been extracting all the juice of letters, fragments, and snippets not previously really taken into consideration... Is not that you must agree with everything he deduces (he sometimes make silly mistakes in marginal assertions) but he is really chopping the material into new views. Anyway, the subjects of his research are not the Goths, per se, but their era.

On the names of the bishops, in the Suevic kingdom of Galicia 5 of 12 Catholic bishops were Suevi in 570, 6 Roman (one a Pannonian) and 1 Briton. The Visigothic kingdom shows the same tendency after the conversion under king Reccared; according to Thompson (The Goths in Spain, XII.2), the percentile of Germanic/Total bishops assisting to the councils of Toledo were:
Tarraconense 30,25%
Cartaginense 30,75%
Lusitania    43,75%
Betica       27,25%