Vanir

Tore Gannholm tore at GANNHOLM.ORG
Fri Aug 3 05:27:48 UTC 2012

The Vendel era
After the Huns empire had perished at the battle at Nedao in 454 new contacts between Scandinavia and the Ostrogoths were made possible. The result was not only that the Ostrogoths became free and came in direct revenue-generating contact with the Roman Empire, but also that communications were opened up again between the north and south. The Huns had swept through continental Europe since the end of the 300s. It was their presence that seems to have been the most important factor to cut off the previous contacts between Scandinavia and the south, that in the 4th century had brought gold to Scandinavia. It was also probably the reason why the Goths were split into Visigoths and Ostrogoths. The Visigoths came under Roman patronage while the Ostrogoths remained in the Hun Empire.
The renewed contacts with the South also resulted for example in the importation of a large number of gold coins known as solidi, used as rawmaterial for their gold craft, and started a real golden age in Scandinavia. Imports of solidi continued as long as the Ostrogotic kingdom existed. The wealth during this period is for Gotland parallel to the Ostrogotic rule in Italy, and declines towards the end when the Ostrogotic empire falls, and the Ostrogoths disappear from Italy. The tribal kindred the Ostrogoths ruled northern Italy 493-552.
According to the researchers the Vendel Period is considered to start on Gotland second half of the 400s, and spread to the Svea kingdom. After the peace agreement, when the Gotlanders went into a trade and defense agreement with the Svear, the high Gotlandic culture could also be introduced in the Lake Mälar area.
During the migration period, Gotlandic jewelry forms evolved and reached during the Vendel era a rich development. Metal artisans on Gotland worked on a schedule, prepared by the Germanic artisans on the continent. The buckle was a pendant in front of others on the woman's costume, called "ryggknapps" -buckles, worked partly in the one from the south borrowed technique of inlaid semi-precious stones, round buckles and animal head shaped buckles. During the following period, the Viking Age, these forms were to develop. The jewelry is decorated with patterns, that are normally called Germanic animal ornament, created on the continent, and from there transferred to and partially reconstituted by the Gotlandic metal craftsmen. During the later part of the period a strong influence from the Irish-Celtic art is also reflected.
Grave finds on Gotland from the oldest Vendel era are technically and artistically also in close contact with Niello ornamental art, similar to that on the northern Italian cemeteries. It is therefore very likely to assume that the relations between Theodoric's Gotic kingdom and Gotland during this period was very lively, and brought with them the impetus that set the stage for what we call the Vendel era.
The Vendel era has after findings at Vendel in Upland been dated from about the 550s. However, one can not generalize and say that the same applies to Gotland. Here the imported items occur, which form the basis for the Vendel culture, in large amounts at least 50 years earlier than in the Svea areas (see note 19). Large burial grounds with very rich tombs from that period including Broa in Halla and Barshalder in Grötlingbo have recently been excavated, and the documentation of the material shows that Gotland's greatness during this time can be compared with the outside world. As the mediator of the continental currents, which led to the emergence of the "Vendel culture", Gotland has played an important role during the latter part of the era. For the migration period as the Iron Age as a hole in the case of finding riches, Gotland is far ahead of other present day Swedish landscapes. Furthermore, Gotland's culture has a strong local color.
According to Fagerlie, who probably has undertaken the most profound analysis of the solidi in Scandinavia from the end of the 400s and early 500s, it is almost certain that the largest single find of such coins found within the Svear area on the market place Helgö in the Lake Mälaren came from Gotland. It's a find of 47 gold coins. Helgön's prosperity may well be a result of Avair Strabains trade treaty with the Svear. When the slave and fur trade gained momentum it moved over to Birka, which was better suited for that type of marketplace.
The Trade agreement in the Guta Saga between the Gotlanders and the Svear was surely to the delight for both sides and concluded probably at this time. It opened up for the Gotlanders to be able to export their products and culture to the new Svea kingdom and take care of its trading at, for example Helgö in the Lake Mälaren and later Birka and the areas east of Gotland like Grobina which the Svear for some centuries dominated. In particular, iron mining in Bergslagen, northern Uppland and southern Gästrikland may be assumed to have been interesting for the Gotlanders who were skilled blacksmiths.

Where was Västergötland during the Vendel era?

3 aug 2012 kl. 02:36 skrev OSCAR HERRE:

> will do......

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional