Gothic pronunciation

gotenfreund ekinzel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 1 20:36:10 UTC 2012

I have a few questions about the proper pronunication of Gothic:

1. I know that "b" and "d" between vowels is pronounced as "v" and "th" (voiced), e.g.

giban, like "givan"
badi, like "bathi"

what if one of these letters is followed by "j"? - my understanding is that this glide is a semi-vowel.

So, is it rodjan or "rothjan"?
arbeidjan or "arbeithjan"?
gadaubjan or "gadauvjan"?

2. related to this, if a word has a prefix, how does this affect pronunication, is the prefix pronounced separately, and the root word as normal, or does the prefix alter the pronunciation of the root word, e.g.

is gadaban like "ga-davan" or "gathavan"?
anabiudan like "ana-byuthan" or "anavyuthan"?
fraitan like "fra-itan" or is the "ai" pronounced as the diphthong?

thanks in advance, I can't find this is any of my books

Eric