Gothic pronunciation

anheropl0x anheropl0x at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 2 14:46:00 UTC 2012

Hello, gotenfreund.
 As Wright has in his book, grammar of the Gothic Language, medial b and d are pronounced as v and th between vowels and before consonants. J counts as a consonant. This does not apply to prefixes. So to give examples:
Giban "givan"
Rodjan "rothjan"
Anabiudan "ana-bewthan"
Fraitan "fra-itan" The I in this word is written with the two dots above it, showing that it is the start of a new syllable.