Nominative or Accusative

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 15 10:05:59 UTC 2012

Hailai,

A thing to watch about the case that goes with forms of the verb "to be" is
 that it is sometimes accusative. This applies even in English in sentences
like  these:

 they believe him (not he, obviously) to be the  culprit
they believe the culprit to be him (not he,  less obviously)

Likewise in Gothic

 ...unte wissedun Xristu ina wisan
they knew him to be Christ  (Luke 4:41)

 ...hwana mik qithand mans wisan?
whom do men say me to be?  (Mark 8:27)

Interestingly the second example was originally translated in the King
James bible as

 whom do men say that I am?

but was later corrected to

 who do men say that I am?

since this is not an example of an accusative and infinitive, though it was
 in the Greek.

Gerry T.