Some words

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 26 22:19:07 UTC 2012

Hailai,

Herewith, a few comments about suggestions for words not attested in
Gothic, though probably not much in the way of material help.

The season-word we can be the most confident about is "wintrus", occurring
in John 10:22. "Asans" is attested for summer, but it translates Greek
words  that seem to have a sense of "harvest": theros and therismos. I do not
know  whether for the Greeks the harvest was regarded as part of summer; but
if so,  perhaps Wulfila would have chosen some other word if he had not been
influenced  by the language he was translating.

As for the other seasons, I do not know whether there was much uniformity
among the Germanic peoples in their names for spring and autumn, since it is
 said they divided the year into only two seasons, winter and summer. The
German  Lenz (cognate with English Lent) is said to derive from len(gi)zin,
from  *langat-tin, which had the meaning "having long days". Icelandic "vor"
looks  like Latin "ver", but whether they are related I do not know.

The word German and English share for "autumn" is Herbst/harvest. How this
is related to Icelandic "haust", if at all, I do not know.

For a way of saying "too", in a sense that implies excess, perhaps
"ufar"might be used. It occurs in "ufarfulls" = overfull, and looks like  Icelandic
of/ofur, which has the same sense. However, "ufar" by no means seems  to
have a general tendency to indicate excess: for example "ufargaggan" means to
go over, to cross, rather than to go too far, and there are several other
constructions that have "ufar" not implying that something has been done to
excess.

For a word meaning to oppose, resist, or the like, use could possibly be
made of something meaning to fight or contend (e.g. haifstjan, weihan)
followed  by "withra" + accusative = against. In Codex A of Romans 9:13 a form of
"andweihan" means "warring against". And in Luke 18:3 "andastathjis" is an
adversary, from which we might conjecture a verb "and(a)standan (?)

For a verb meaning to depart, "twisstandan" occurs in 2Cor 2:13 for "depart
 from".

I am afraid the above contains more caveats and confessions of ignorance
than assertions, but owing to the dearth of replies to the original questions
I  offer it for what it is worth.

Making words up to fill the gaps in what we know of Gothic is an enterprise
 that deserves careful thought and diligent investigation; it would be easy
to do  it badly. I am therefore reluctant to roll my own Gothic. To
postulate a Gothic  word corresponding to something that is common Germanic (e.g. a
word for  "green") requires a knowledge of how sounds have changed in the
various Germanic  tongues, and in particular of how they changed in Gothic. I
believe many  reconstructions were done long ago by Jakob Grimm. For
present help, if  Llama_nom is still active he would be a valuable source of
advice.

Gerry T.