Timeline of Gothic History

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Mon Jan 2 17:06:01 UTC 2012

Marja has given a good reply but I would just add some small comments.
The first time the Goths are mentioned in a written source is by Strabo sometime before 16 CE and later Tacitus 98 CE and Ptolemaios about150 CE. Pytheas is discussed as Marja  mentiones but they must have been in place at least a good time, maybe 50-100 years before they have been so influential that Strabo should mention them. They seem to be a conglomerate of native Wielbark people and an smaller addition of immigrants from Scandinavia - or rather from the Baltic and Kattegat sphere. Anders Kaliff suggests a common culture covering Southern Scandinavia and the Wielbark area already during the late Nordic Bronze Age. Some (most) see the language as a marker  for Goths but personally I claim it is the common heritage from the God  Gaut both for kings and the peoples as a whole and hence all the Gothic peoples are mentioned after the god- Gudoness, Goutai, Gautar, Gutar, Geatas, Ýtas are theophoric names.

In 239 Goths are mentioned after a battle with the Persians and hence we have the Chernakov  Culture later in the 3000's splitting into also the Sintana de Mures in Trajanus Dacia and surroundings. It is from here that Wulfila is driven away to Moesia with his Gothi Minores.

376 The Vesi-Tervingi from Gutþiuða (Dacia)cross the limes but the Greutungi (Ostrogoths) are forced to allance with the Huns. Athanasius Vesigothic tribe probably moves to Thuringia but older researchers have guessed on Caucaland.

After the battle of Nedao 456 where a.e.Visigoths, Ostrogoths (some of them), Gepids defeat the sons of Attila and their allied Ostrogoths also the Ostrogoths are allowed to cross the limes. They have already mostly been  made Arians like the Visigoths from 376.

Within the Roman boundaries the Goths erve as military. The Visigothic (former Vesi)king Alaric is sent as Magister Militum with his army to keep peace in Greece but this gives to little plunder and hence he goes to Italy and plunder Rome and his sucessor continues to Gaul where they found a kingdom in 418 around Toulose but are later forced away by the Franks and they form a new kingdom in Spain with Toledo as capital. This rests to 711. Later the Ostrogothic king Teoderic is launched by the emperor to detronize the Scir Odovakar and his Herulian gard that have thrown over the western empire and the child emperor Romulus. In 476 Theoderic kills Odovakar  and proclaim an own Ostrogothic kingdom in Italy that rests to 566 when the last rest of the army is defeated. Teoderik the great dies in 526 and is buried in his capitol, the imperial city, Ravenna in a magnicifent mausoleum.All the Gothic kingdoms were Arian but after 586 the Visigothic king turned Catholic and that marks the beginning of the end for the Goths who all the time had religion as an ethnic glue.

Best
Ingemar