Timeline of Gothic History

marja erwin marja-e at RISEUP.NET
Mon Jan 2 04:16:07 UTC 2012

For one thing, who were the Goths? At different times, different groups
called themselves Gutþiuda [and variations thereon]. I tend to think of
the Chernyakhov-era Goths as The Goths, and the Weilbark-era Gutones as
some of their predecessors, but the Bastarnae, branches of the Sarmatae,
branches of the Daci, etc. as more of their predecessors. And that's
leaving aside other groups within the Chernyakhov culture. I don't think
that's the best perspective for the Visigoths or Ostrogoths, but it is a
good perspective for the Chernyakhov Goths and the Moesian Goths.

There is some confusion about how early the Gutones are attested on the
Vistula - some think Pytheas' mentions the Goths, others think not, and
the texts are fragmentary and corrupt.

There is also some confusion about how early the Bastarnae reached what
is now Ukraine.

But in the late first and early second centuries C.E. the Gutones are
attested on the Vistula, in Tacitus and Ptolemy, I think. The Weilbark
Culture prospered in this time and place. I'm not sure how long it
lasted.

In the early third century C.E. the Gothi are attested on the Black Sea.
There were several conflicts with the Roman Empire in this period. The
Chernyakhov Culture developed in what's now Ukraine and Moldava and
later spread southwest into what's now Romania.

In the 340s, Wulfila, the first Christian bishop of the Goths, is forced
into exile in the Roman Empire, where he translates the bible into
Gothic. Archaeologically, there seems to be a Gothic Christian community
on the outskirts of Nicopolis ad Istrum.

In the 370s, Hunnish and Alan raids lead to a refugee crisis, with some
Gothic refugees entering the Roman Empire. Imperial officials try to
betray and enslave the Goths, leading to war and the death of the
emperor Valens. At the same time other Gothic refugees enter Caucaland,
probably what is now Transylvania, and possibly central Germany too.

After that, things get increasingly messy. More conflicts with the Roman
Empire, apparently more refugee crises as the Huns establish themselves
on the Danube, setting up Federate kingdoms in Aquitaine [418] and Italy
[489], the Franks conquering Aquitaine [507], the Byzantines invading
Italy, conquering it, and invading Spain, amid repeated civil wars.