Family relations in the gothic language

kevin.behrens@rocketmail.com becareful_icanseeyourfuture at HOTMAIL.DE
Wed Jan 4 23:02:25 UTC 2012

I really thank you for the tipps and sources.
I now made a little list with possible names.

Mutter – aiþei, modar
Vater – atta, fadar
Bruder / brother – broþar
Schwester / sister– swistar
Sohn / son – sunus
Tochter / daughter – dauhtar
Großmutter / grandmother - awo(fadarmodar, modarmodar)
Großvater / grandfather - awa(fadarfadar, modarfadar)
Großeltern / grandparents - fadrein
Cousin – gadiliggs
Cousine – gadiliggo
Neffe / nephew – niþjis (actually kinsman, but Peter Heather sees it as nephew, which would be etymological logical)
Nichte / niece– niþjo
Onkel / uncle – modarbroþar, fadarbroþar / baro (vgl. barus (Rothari's edict)
Tante / aunt – modarswistar, fadarswistrar / bara
Ur- - us-
Schwiegervater / father-in-law – swaihra
Schwiegermutter / mother-in-law– swaihro
Schwiegersohn / son-in-law – megs
Schwiegertochter / daughter-in-law – bruþs, snuzo
groß- / grand- - *mikil- / *alda-
Enkel / grandchild – *barnisbarn / *leitilbarn / forms as above

I didn't know how to say uncle or aunt. When we look at the scandinavian languages such formulations are quite frequent. But there is no such formulation attested for gothic. And uncle and aunt are derrived from the latin language.
The dictionary of Köbler has forms for son- and daughter-in-law.
us- as a form for ur- seems also to be attested.
Even for groß- / grand- I wasn't sure. There are mostly forms with words that have the same etymologie as great- or grand-. But there is no such word in gothic. So, mikil- or also alda- could be possible, but don't fit that well in my subjective opinion. What do you think?