Vanir

Michal Cigan michalcigan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 30 12:31:19 UTC 2012

hi there,
let me only note that you are mixing entities of completelly different kind - vanir are
mythological supernatural beings not some "barbarian tribe" of flash and bones
so you cannot consider their ethnic nature

________________________________
From: Abrigon <abrigon at gmail.com>
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Vanir

For me, I see the Vanir as another element, much like how some tribes were
a mixture of Germanic and Celtic elements. To me the Aesir was the Germanic
or one Germanic group, and the Vanir was another element, either Germanic
or Celtic or something else?

Since many of the Vanir seem to have been more agricultural and a different
way of things such as war. While the Aesir seemed more into hunting and
war.. At least in the Norse and like areas..

Got to remember the Germanic tribes as we know them was several groups,
tribes and such, we call them Eastern, Western and Northern, yes? They had
much in common but .. each had experienced different things, such as the
Eastern, such as the Goths, had dealt with the Huns and like plains people,
but also Greek and Celtic but also Latin and like peoples..

Wasn't the Tuetones (sp) who was a mixture of Celtic and mostly Germanic
elements?

What ever happened to Tiwaz and like dieties? Replaces by Odim\n/Woden,
while Tyr replaced ...

I know in Celtic myths, many of the dieties and ideals you see in other
related peoples, such as the Fomor - Titans for example, similar? not
always direct but ..

Mike
Alaska