Greeting Hails

Kevin Behrens becareful_icanseeyourfuture at HOTMAIL.DE
Fri Jun 1 15:29:59 UTC 2012

Hailai,
on our website www.vereindergotischensprache.de I want to start a neogothic language course. And it's pretty difficult to invent konversational phrases, the bible is not really known to have such ones attested. ;) I now choosed the declined forms. They can't be wrong and as far as I see we won't come to a real solution on this. And maybe some of the possibilities are right. On older Gothic the forms could have been declined and in later times the declination could have been reduced.

Another question is: How would you translate the phrase: How are you?
According to most languages I choosed: Hvaiwa is þu?
Would that be appropriate?

To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
From: r_scherp at yahoo.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 03:00:02 +0000
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Greeting Hails

Hails!

Well, the opinions vary. I think we also have to distinguish between adjective and noun. In 'Verit heilir' the word clearly appears as an adjective. In German, however, 'Heil' seems to be used primarily as a noun that calls for the dative: 'Heil dir'. The examples Gerry posted seem to indicate a similar usage, but with an accusative instead of dative. Is that a valid interpretation?

Randulfs

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Thomas Ruhm <thomas at ...> wrote:

> In other languages greetings and other frequently used expressions with not much meaning the singular can be generalized.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)