Greeting Hails

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 2 15:17:23 UTC 2012

Herewith, something of a ragbag of what I am able to  contribute to
answering questions raised in recent posts.

About the interpretation of the "hail" constructions attested  in Gothic: I
would take "thiudan" to be vocative (o King) in

Hails thiudan - [be] hale o King

The alternative version with "thiudans" is trickier; it may be  due to
miscopying or looseness of usage.

About the word order in

thiudiskaland thiudangardi ist: it might be worth while to  look for some
examples in Wulfila, but bear in mind that he tends to stick  closely to the
Greek he translates.

About how to say "how are you?". Gothic appears to have had a  phrase "ubil
haban" (to have evil) or "ubilaba haban" (to have badly) for saying  "to be
ill". But these look like very literal translations of the New  Testament's
Greek (kakos echein = to have badly) and so we perhaps ought not to  be too
eager to postulate a Gothic phrase literally meaning "how do you have?".
On the other hand, just such an expression for "how are you" is used in
Norwegian: hvordan har du det, which I think means "how do you have  it?"

In answer to one other question, about the use of is/was +  participle:
other European tongues than English seem to have sensibly avoided  this curse,
but it does occur in Gothic, e.g. in Mark 1:21

was laisjands ins swe waldufni habands jah ni swaswe thai  bokarjos - he
taught them (literally was teaching them) as one having authority  and not
like the scribes.

However, Wulfila's Gothic here, as often, is a very literal  rendition of
the original; Mark's Greek has the same construction. Unfortunately  I am not
well versed enough in Greek to say how Mark's "was teaching" (en  didaskon)
would have been felt to differ from a simple imperfect.

At a guess, the Goths did not normally use the construction in  question.

Gerry T.