Greeting Hails

marja erwin marja-e at RISEUP.NET
Sun Jun 3 22:59:37 UTC 2012

Thank you!

That gets to another point - D.H. Green discusses how Wulfila almost
exclusively refers to weihs and avoids hailags, and upper German texts
use wih, while Anglo-Saxon and low/middle German texts almost
exclusively refer to heilag. He argues that Wulfila chose weihs because
hailags was associated with worldly luck and military victory.

That leaves me wondering how early Gothic Christians would have felt
about the greeting hails/haila/hailata. In these contexts, of course,
it's Roman soldiers mocking Jesus. Perhaps some early Gothic Christians
might have preferred fagino, and their pagan contemporaries might have
used either or both greetings? Just a thought.