Greeting Hails

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 4 17:53:10 UTC 2012

About whether some early Gothic Christians would have preferred "fagino"
(rejoice) to "hails": now that the matter has been mentioned, it does seem
plausible; for it translates the Greek chaire literally, and Wulfila is often
 very literal in his renditions of the NT Greek. As for the use of "hail"
to  refer to worldly luck and military success, such a noun use occurs in
both  German and Old Norse. I give below some further facts excavated from
dictionaries:

Cleasby and Vigfusson's Icelandic-English Dictionary, which is primarily
about the old tongue, includes versions of both the Germanic "holy" words
that  have been mooted: they appear as "vígja" i.e. vigja with an acute accent
on the  first vowel, in case it gets corrupted in transmission, which is
said to mean  "consecrate" both in a Christian and in a non-Christian sense;
and "heilagr"  (the consonant at the end is inflexive) which means "holy",
again in either a  Christian or a non-Christian sense. The word is said to be
derived from "heill"  (whole) and to be consequently not so old as the
primitive vé, veihs.

"Heilagr" is also said to have been used as a lawterm to mean inviolable,
one whose person is sacred, with the comment that this is undoubtedly the
word's  original sense.

The Oxford English Dictionary under "holy" has the interesting remark that
the word's sense "is expressed in the Gothic of Ulfilas by weihs (but
hailag,  apparently 'consecrated', 'dedicated' is read on a runic inscription
generally  held to be Gothic)".

Less helpfully, the OED adds that "we cannot in Old English get behind
Christian senses in which "holy" is equated with Latin sanctus, sacer".

Gerry T.