A short gothic poem

Edmund edmundfairfax at YAHOO.CA
Fri Jul 5 23:09:59 UTC 2013

1) "sijain" should be 'sijai'

2) There seems to be much confusion about the formation of the Gothic passive. A careful look in a good grammar, such as Braune's (5.1, 2004), will reveal that there is an inflected passive only in the present indicative and present subjunctive; in the preterite, a paraphrastic construction is used consisting of a suitable preterite form of the auxiliary 'wisan/wairthan' and the past participle of the main verb. I quote from the Braune:

"Das Passiv ist nur noch in einigen Formen des Indikativ und Optativ Praes. vorhanden...die fehlenden Passivformen werden umschrieben durch das Part. Praet. mit dem entsprechenden Formen von 'wairthan' oder 'wisan', z.B. 'daupjada' "werde getauft' (Mk. 10,38), aber 'daupiths was' 'wurde getauft' (Mk. 1,19)."

The present passive is formed by using the stem of the infinitive, not the preterite. Thus, 'fulhada' is altogether incorrect.

It should also be noted that there is no perfect in Gothic. A passive can have both an active or stative sense. As an example of the stative sense, consider the following line from the Gothic Bible:

"hwana wileith ei fraletau izwis? Barabban thau Jesu, saei haitada Xristus?" (Mat. 27,17)
'Whom do you want me to release to you? Barabbas or Jesus, who is called Christ?'

Here 'haitada', the third-person singular present indicative passive of the verb 'haitan', clearly has a stative rather than active sense; the subordinate clause could also be rendered as 'whose name is Christ'. Thus, it does not follow that ''filhada' 'is buried' must have only an active sense, and not a stative sense.

3) The Goths employed the convention of scriptio continua ('continuous writing'), that is, writing without spaces between words (e.g. "tobeornottobethatisthequestion"). But in modern editions, words are normally separated by spaces, and prefixes and suffixes are written together with the word they belong to without the use of hyphens. Thus "af-grundithai" ought to be written 'afgrundithai'.

4) The form "afilhada" lacks the 'f' of the prefix and should be 'affilhada'.