A short gothic poem

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 5 21:15:29 UTC 2013

Sorry to quibble at this stage, but:

(i) I think "sijain" should be "sijai".

(ii) I think the original choice of "fulhan" for "(lying) buried" was
right. The form "filhada" means that a thing is buried in the sense that someone
 is in the act or habit of burying it. Since the burial is complete you
want the  past participle, which is passive in sense. In the modern Germanic
languages it  is apparently active when used with "have" as an auxiliary, but
this  construction I think was adopted from the Latin tongues, and does not
appear in  Gothic. In any case the true passive sense is brought out in
modern German, or  occasionally in English, e.g.

The police have got the building surrounded (= the police have surrounded
the building).

Gerry T.

In a message dated 05/07/2013 21:19:17 GMT Daylight Time, nodead4 at yahoo.es