Translating Shakespeare

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 24 16:58:52 UTC 2013

About translating phrases like "the more the merrier":

I would have offered the same suggestion as Edmund made. However, there
definitely seem to be other reasonable possibilities:

The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary tells us that use of "the" as an
adverb, or rather as two adverbs, in phrases like "the more the merrier" goes
back to Old English. In this context "the" is not, of course, the article;
it is  a relic of the instrumental case of "that", which was "thy/thon".
Hence, in my  specimen phrase the sense would have been

 by that [much] more, by that merrier.

More logically perhaps, the sentence ought to be

 *why more the merrier,

the Old English instrumental case of "hwat" being "hwy/hwon". However, I
have no reason to think it was ever expressed in that way.

The Oxford English Dictionary offers the following quote from AD 897:

Thaet her thy mara wisdom on londe waere, thy we ma getheoda  cuthon
= that here would be the greater wisdom in the land, the more of  languages
we knew (?)

The OED also seems to imply that two distinct words, thy and the, had
fallen together in Old English.

We could also consider cases from Icelandic.

I recall encountering, though I do not remember whether in the old or the
modern language, a phrase like

"...er thvi betri sem meiri er..." i.e. [something] is the better as
greater is [something else]

Here the second word in the Icelandic is the dative case of "that", but
looks as if it corresponds to Anglo-Saxon "thy/thon". In any case, the dative
in  Icelandic often seems to be used as an instrumental.

Cleasby and Vigfusson's Dictionary of Old Icelandic does not seem to
mention any construction like the one I mentioned, but does indicate another
similar possibility, using "thess", the genitive case of "that", instead of the
 dative. It likens this to the German "desto". Here are two examples they
give,  with my uncertain translations:

heldur var hon thess at litilatari
rather was she the humbler (?)

thess meirr er hinn drekkr, thess meirr thyrstir hann
the more that the  other (man) drinks, the more he thirsts (?)

Possibly these observations will give further ideas for inventing a Gothic
construction.