Quick question on adjectives

Weidemyr Basti setiez@yahoo.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Sun Aug 17 19:47:02 UTC 2014

The statement in Mark 15:39 was made by a centurion and would have no doctrinal authority. Would it be worth the risk to tamper with holy scripture if the change wouldn't help at all to support any doctrine? What would such a doctrine say?

The Peshitta has the centurion say: Sarira yit (truly) hana (this, emph.) gabra (man, emph.) bereh (son, emph.) hua (was) d'Alaha (of God, emph.)

emph. means this word is emphatic, which is almost the same as definite except the emphatic has broader usage in Old Syriac. Since the word-order is the same as the Gothic text, and since a mechanical translation from Old Syriac could result in "sa sunus", due to bereh being emphatic, I rather feel like this quote suggest Old Syriac has been involved in the transmission of the gospel of Mark of the Silver Bible. But I don't speak Syriac ... so ... what do you think? :)

Kind regards
Basti