News website in Gothic, it's here

OSCAR HERRE duke.co@sbcglobal.net [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Thu Aug 28 03:42:19 UTC 2014

wanted to know what is bandareikja....a country?....also what is kineiskos...another country...
korea?

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 7:42 PM, "Marja Erwin marja-e at riseup.net [gothic-l]" <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Yeah, I tripped over reiki more than inter. I know reiks appears meaning powerful person, ruler, probably warlord, and English rich comes from the same root.

On Aug 27, 2014, at 8:31 PM, Dicentis a roellingua at gmail.com [gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Oh yes, let me explain why I use 'inter' in combination with a Gothic word. My first language is Dutch and in our language we have the word 'tussen' for 'between' in English and 'inter' in Latin. When we use the word international though, we use the Latin word first, just as English does, 'inter', and after that a Dutch word 'nationaal', which is 'national' in English. This is where I got the idea from to use a combination of 'inter' and a Gothic word.

> Hello Marja, Dirk,
>
> Marja, I 'm currently having problems with thinking of neologisms. As the people which I contacted and asked for help with Gothic are either not very active or simply don't respond, I need to figure out a lot myself and I had a problem with international. A nation can be translated in Gothic as 'reiki'. The word 'land' is used to refer to a territory and it's position while 'reiki' is used for a political entity, a place which is ruled by a gouvernment, so a state or a nation. Nation however could also be used in the sense of a certain population, Italians, Spanish people, so then 'thiudi' would appropriate. The word 'between' however doesn't have any special meaning in Gothic. The dictionaries which I use tell me that in a case in the Gothic Bible where the word 'between' was used, Wulfila used an alternative which was 'mith', instead of a word which looked for example like 'betweox' in Old English (is betweox correct? I started learning Old English a
 few days ago). I thus need to use either a modern word in combination with an old Gothic word, so that I get 'interreiks', 'interthiudi' or 'interland', or I should use the Gothic way: 'mithreikja', 'miththiudái' (I don't know the declination of thiudi by heart) or 'mithlanda', this however sounds strange to me. I can always edit the news articles so if you have any good alternative for international in Gothic, share it and I will add it.

> It’s nice to see Gothic-language news, but I’m puzzled at the use of “interreikis” for “international."

> Yahoo Groups Links

Yahoo Groups Links