Pluperfect exercises from Chapter 9 of Lambdin

Edmund Fairfax edmundfairfax at YAHOO.CA
Thu Feb 13 01:44:29 UTC 2014

Dear Claire,

I don't mean to be pedantic, but you may wish to note that there is no pluperfect -- or present perfect -- in Gothic: there are only two tenses (preterite and present) in two moods (indicative and optative/subjunctive). The imperative exists only in the present. Thus, there is NO construction *haba gahailith = English 'I have healed', contrary to the other respondent's claim. You can check this yourself by consulting the Braune/Heidermanns grammar (pp. 141-144), for example, or any other pertinent scholarly reference work on the Gothic language.

Lambdin (p. 37) is speaking of the ENGLISH equivalents when he uses the term pluperfect. His exercise C from lesson 9 is practice is forming the paraphrastic passive, which consists of the auxiliary verb wisan/wairthan in either the present or preterite + past participle of the main verb.

Your answer for no. 8 should have 'wesun' rather than 'ist': thus 'gawandidai wesun thai skalkos' (plural form is needed here to agree with 'skalkos' and the exercise requires the past form of the aux.). Otherwise I see no other mistakes.

Edmund

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:18:09 AM, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

fer no 12 it mite be galagida ist ansts is ana em....no 10 ...ik haf hailida wes......no 8....so skalko haf gawando......no 7...tho skip wes frabugjan......

From: Claire Knudsen-Latta <clairemargery at gmail.com>
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 5:27 PM
Subject: [gothic-l] Pluperfect exercises from Chapter 9 of Lambdin

Good afternoon,

I've been working my way through Lamdin's Introduction to the Gothic Language without much difficulty, however I'm not sure I'm understanding the use of the past participle in constructing the pluperfect, specifically the declination rubric.  I've gone through the exercises at the end of the chapter and attached them below, if someone has a minute to look at them and tell me if I've done them correctly or completely missed the mark, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Claire

---
C. Translate and convert to the corresponding plural form of the pluperfect 1.  Gawaurht ist þata kas. i.   The pot has been fashioned
ii.   Gawaurhta wesun þo kasa
2.  Rodiþ ist þata waurd i.   The word has been said ii.    Rodida wesun þo waurda
3.  Ufdaupida ist so qino i.    The woman has been baptized  ii.   Ufdaupidos wesun þos qinons

4.  Gatimriþs ist sa gards i.   The house has been built ii.   Gatimridai wesun þai gardeis
5.  Insandiþs im i.    I have been sent  ii.    Insandidai wesum
6.  Gahausida ist þeina bida i.   Your prayer has been heard ii.   Gahausidos wesun þeinos bidos.
7.  Frabauht ist þata skip i.    That ship has been sold  ii.    Frabauhta wesun þo skipa
8.  Gawandiþs ist sa skalks i.   The servant has returned ii.   Gawandidai ist þai skalkos
9.  Fraqistiþ ist razn is i.   His house has been destroyed  ii.   Fraqistida wesun razna ize
10.  Gahailiþs im i.    I have been healed ii.    Gahailidai wesum
11.  Þiuþida is þu i.    You have been blessed ii.    Þiuþidos wesuþ jus
12.  Galagida ist ansts is ana ins i.   His grace has been layed on them ii.    Galagidos wesun ansteis is ana ins
13.  Gameliþ ist þein namo i.    Your name has been writen ii.    Gamelida wesun þeina namona
14.  Gatawida ist so mahts i.    The power has been designated
ii.    Gatawidos wesun þos mahteis